I am sharing an extract from an article by Dr. Carol because I feel the content will be of great benefit to many of my health-conscious readers. For people who are not in the medical profession or have read up on how to naturally improve cardiovascular health, the subject can be a complex one for people to get their head around. Dr.Carol’s article does a great job in explaining things simply. So let’s begin….
Heart Disease is the number one killer of Americans – even more than cancer.
The statistics are really scary. 81 million American adults have cardiovascular disease. Every year, nearly one million people with CVD have their first heart attack and often, the first symptom of the disease is death. 325,000 people will die having that first heart attack.
Now, 100 years ago, heart disease was rare. Of course, throughout the ages, people have always died of disease. But the diseases that did us in, like the great plague that killed off 1.5 million people, are called Vector Diseases. They are caused by bacteria and viruses, and to some extent, have been impacted by modern medicine.
CVD, on the other hand, is not a vector disease. It is a lifestyle disease. Today, it’s degenerative diseases that are killing us. Poor eating habits, stress, lack of sleep, high blood sugar levels, blood pressure problems and pollution all have negative effects on heart health.
So we go to our physicians and they do indeed tell us to eat better and to watch our cholesterol levels. However, heart disease is not just about cholesterol. There are many more risk factors that contribute to CVD. Some of these risk factors are genetic, but more often than not, they revolve around lifestyle. A surprising statistic is that at least fifty percent of heart attack victims have normal cholesterol levels. Research has thrown into question the validity that elevated cholesterol is the primary driver of heart disease.
Here’s the bottom line: Cholesterol is a marker for CVD. It is not the cause. Newer scientific research has shown that the real cause of heart disease is inflammation. The foods we eat, aging in general, stress, and pollution cause an inflammatory reaction on a cellular level in the arterial wall.
Inflammation is the body’s protective response to irritation or injury. The same wonderful mechanism that helps a paper cut heal is the same response inside the arterial wall that’s clogging our arteries. It’s an immune response.
There is, however, a miracle molecule called Nitric Oxide that:
- Prevents high blood pressure
- Keeps your arteries young and flexible
- Prevents, slows, or reverses the buildup of artery-clogging plaque
- Helps stop the formation of blood clots in arteries
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces the risk for diabetes
- Limits the swelling and pain of arthritis
- Reverses erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Calms asthma
- Protects bones from osteoporosis
- Lifts the immune system
When there isn’t enough NO, Instead of relaxed, widened arteries we have a tense, tightened artery and when blood flows through that smaller space, blood pressure rises. Without enough NO, high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke results. What makes it worse is that the increased pressure further damages artery walls and now the stage is set for artery-clogging plaques to grow.
Two amino acids L-Arginine and L-Citrulline that are found naturally in the body serve as the raw materials for the body to produce Nitric Oxide.
Arginine is a semi-essential amino acid that has shown promise in the prevention of atherosclerosis (blockage of the arteries). L-arginine is pure 100% free form arginine and is the precursor for endothelium-derived nitric oxide (EDNO). Three scientists were awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1998 for discovering nitric oxide’s role as a vasodilator. In a healthy endothelium (inner wall of a blood vessel), nitric oxide (NO) will keep vessels pliable and elastic, dilate (open up) blood vessels keeping blood flowing smoothly, relax blood vessels, keep platelets and white blood cells calm and prevent them from sticking to the vessel wall, prevent oxidation, slow plaque growth, suppress atherosclerosis and melt away plaque that already exists.
After arginine is consumed in foods and in supplements, it makes its way into the bloodstream and circulates throughout the body. As it enters the endothelial cells that line the smooth muscle walls of blood vessels, an enzymatic reaction occurs that converts arginine to nitric oxide. As the levels of arginine rise in the body so does your production of nitric oxide, which in turn can have a dramatic and positive effect on your cardiovascular health.
There are over 85,000 medically published clinical studies attesting to the fact that arginine will help lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and triglycerides, improve diabetes, improve sexual function, reduce blood clots and strokes, improve congestive heart failure, improve wound healing, improve liver and kidney function, improve memory and cognitive functions, increase human growth hormone (HGH), improve muscle growth and performance, and much more.
L-Citrulline is an amino acid which promotes energy, stimulates the immune system, and detoxifies ammonia, which damages living cells. L-citrulline is closely related to L-arginine and is found in many of the same protein-rich foods. In your body, L-citrulline is converted into L-arginine, which in turn increases the production of nitric oxide. This “turbocharging” effect of the L-citrulline/L-arginine recycling pathway can, in fact, substantially increase nitric oxide production.
Results of Scientific Research + Clinical Studies
Medical published clinical studies have proven scientifically that nitric oxide created by arginine will do the following:
• Widen the blood vessels (increasing blood flow throughout the body)
• Soften the blood vessels (reversing the hardening of the arteries)
• Relax the blood vessels (overcoming most high blood pressure)
• Inhibit and melt away plaque (preventing and reversing atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease, heart attack, stroke and peripheral artery disease)
Additional arginine benefits based on scientific research and clinical studies:
• decreases blood pressure
• improves outcome after bypass surgery
• lowers elevated serum triglyceride levels
• improves diabetes and reverses damage caused by diabetes
• improves pituitary responsiveness and modulates the hormonal control
• improves asthma
• improves irritable bowel syndrome
• improves osteoporosis
• reduces ulcers
• improves the outcome of cancer treatment
• improves Alzheimer’s
• improves long-term and short-term memory and cognitive functions
• improves prostate function
• improves sexual function, libido, performance, and satisfaction in both men and women
• improves renal (kidney) function
• alleviates cirrhosis, helps to detoxify the liver, and liver malfunction can occur as a result of arginine deficiency
• alleviates obesity and facilitates weight loss (stimulating the release of human growth hormone from the pituitary gland)
• improves muscle performance
• increases human growth hormone (anti-aging)
• increases your energy levels to a more youthful state
WHAT OTHER EXPERTS ARE SAYING
The two amino acids, L-Arginine and L-Citrulline explained above are found in THRIVE in perfect ratios, and scientifically designed boost the body’s production of NO (Nitric Oxide). But Thrive is much more than that. Here’s a video that explains it better than I ever can.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, test, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your healthcare provider prior to using this product if you are pregnant, nursing or known to have a serious medical condition.